Virginia Fossils Gateway
Home > Fossil Locales > York River State Park
View Fossil Locales in a larger map
York River State Park in York County, VA
- Eastover and Yorktown Formations (Miocene and Pliocene epochs, respectively)
- Directions: From I-64, take the Croaker Exit 231B. Go north on Route 607 (Croaker Rd.) for one mile, then right on Route 606 (Riverview Rd.) about one and a half miles to the park entrance. Take a left turn into the park.
- Admission fees: Weekdays - 10am to 4pm $2 per adult and $1 per child; other weekday hours - $1 per car; Weekends - 8am to 6pm $2 per adult and $1 per child; Maximum fee per car - $5; other weekend hours - $2 per car
- Permission must be obtained to keep fossils found at the park. Please do not dig in or disturb the cliffs.
- Fossils: sponge borings, corals, bryozoans, gastropods, clams, scallops, oysters, barnacles, fish (vertebrae), ray (dental plates), shark (teeth and vertebrae), and porpoises and whales (vertebrae, teeth, inner ear bones, bone fragments)