Cutler Professor of Law and Kelly Professor of Teaching Excellence
Office phone: (757) 221-3849
Office location: Room 227A
Areas of Specialization
Corporations; Criminal Law--White Collar Crime; Securities Regulation Law
Corporations; Securities Regulation I; Securities Regulation Survey; W&M Business Law Review
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Practiced law at Jenner & Block in Chicago (elected to partnership 1982). Joined the faculty in 1985.
Author of articles in the Journal of Corporation Law; The Business Lawyer; and the Wisconsin, North Carolina, Boston University, Arizona, and Southern California law reviews.
Program chair for the 2010-2011 Herbert V. Kelly, Sr. Program for Teaching Excellence. Winner, 2010 Plumeri Award for Teaching Excellence.
Recipient, 2011 Thomas Jefferson Award.
President, ACLU of Virginia 2010-11.
- At the Intersection of Corporate Governance and Environmental Sustainability, 2 Wm. & Mary Bus. L. Rev. ___ (2011).
- Tribute Issue, Listening to Victims, 79 Fordham L. Rev. 1479 (2011).
- Symposium Issue, Evolutionary Enforcement at the Securities and Exchange Commission, 71 U. Pitt. L. Rev. 403 (2010), reprinted in Corporate Practice Commentator (Thomson-West 2011). SSRN.
- Deception, Decisions, and Investor Education, 17 Elder L. J. 201 (2009). SSRN.
- Symposium Issue, Narcissism, Over-Optimism, Fear, Anger and Depression: The Interior Lives of Corporate Leaders, 77 U. Cin. L. Rev. 405 (2008). SSRN.
- Corporate Therapeutics at the Securities and Exchange Commission, 2008 Colum. Bus. L. Rev. 793 (2008). SSRN.
- Securities Fraud, Recidivism, and Deterrence, 113 Penn. St. L. Rev. 189 (2008). SSRN.
- Symposium Issue, Post-Tenure Review As If It Mattered, 17 J. Contemp. Legal Issues 297 (2008). SSRN.
- Symposium Issue, Creative Sanctions for Online Investment Fraud, 76 Miss. L.J. 949 (2007).
- Symposium Issue, Corporate Boards and The New Environmentalism, 31 Wm. & Mary Envtl. L. & Pol'y Rev. 291 (2007).
- Symposium Issue, More Women on Corporate Boards? Not So Fast, 13 Wm. & Mary J. Women & L. 703 (2007)
- Symposium Issue, At the Top of the Pyramid: Lessons from the Alpha Women and the "Elite Eight," 65 Md. L. Rev. 315 (2006)
- Rule 10b-5 and the "Unfitness" Question, 47 Ariz. L. Rev. 9 (2005), reprinted in 47 Corp. Prac. Comm. 855 (2005).
- Symposium Issue, Historical Quirks, Political Opportunism, and the Anti-Loan Provision of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, 31 Ohio N.U. L. Rev. 325 (2005), reprinted in 38 Sec. L. Rev. Ann. 236 (2006).
- SEC Debarment of Officers and Directors After Sarbanes-Oxley, 59 Bus. Law. 391 (2004).
- Co-author, Incremental Bar Admission: Lessons from the Medical Profession, 53 J. Legal Educ. 340 (2003) (with Mark Greenspan).
- The SEC's Suspension and Bar Powers in Perspective, 76 Tul. L. Rev. 1253 (2002).
- Renewable Bar Admission: A Template for Making "Professionalism" Real, 25 J. Legal Prof. 1 (2001).
- Allocution for Victims of Economic Crimes, 77 Notre Dame L. Rev. 39 (2001). SSRN.
- Reintegrative Shaming in Corporate Sentencing, 72 S. Cal. L. Rev. 959 (1999).
- What is Character? What is Fitness? Who Decides?, VII Educ. & Prac. 5 (1999).
- The Three-Legged Stool of Corporate Governance Reform, 13 Amicus Curiae (Journal of the Society for Advanced Legal Studies, London) 12 (1999).
- Reflections on Britain's Research Assessment Exercise, 48 J. Legal Educ. 467 (1998).
- When Wise Men Speak: Comments on the OECD's Corporate Governance Project, Company Secretary, Jul. 1998, at 37 (Hong Kong publication).
- The Hampel Committee Report: A Transatlantic View, Company Law., Apr. 1998, at 110 (British publication).
- Symposium Issue, Corporate Philanthropy, Executives' Pet Charities and the Agency Problem, 41 N.Y.L. Sch. L. Rev. 1147 (1997).
- Co-author, Report of the Task Force on Rule 102(e) Proceedings: Rule 102(e) Sanctions Against Accountants, 52 Bus. Law. 965 (1997).
- Sovereign Prerogatives, 21 J. Corp. L. 281 (1996).
- Private Practice for Public Consumption: Two Views of Corporate Law, 73 B.U. L. Rev. 121 (1993).
- When is a Corporate Executive "Substantially Unfit to Serve"?, 70 N.C. L. Rev. 1489 (1992), reprinted in 25 Sec. L. Rev. Ann. 155 (1993).
- Institutional Investors and the New Corporate Governance, 69 N.C. L. Rev. 1135 (1991).
- Shareholder Access to the Proxy Revisited, 40 Cath. U. L. Rev. 37 (1990).
- Giving Voice to Shareholder Choice, 73 Bus. and Soc'y Rev. 15 (1990).
- Exxon Collides with the Valdez Principles, 74 Bus. & Soc'y Rev. 32 (1990).
- Securities Law Symposium, The Supreme Court and the Shareholder Litigant: Basic, Inc. v. Levinson in Context, 16 Pepp. L. Rev. 985 (1989).
- Executive Loans from Corporate Funds, 17 Sec. Reg. L.J. 257 (1989).
- The Securities Law Enforcement Remedies Act of 1989: Disenfranchising Shareholders in Order to Protect Them, 65 Notre Dame L. Rev. 32 (1989), reprinted in 23 Sec. L. Rev. Ann. 275 (1991) and 33 Corp. Prac. Comm. 507 (1992).
- Curbing Management Conflicts of Interest -- The Search for an Effective Deterrent, 40 Rutgers L. Rev. 369 (1988).
- Corporate Loans to Directors and Officers -- Every Business Now a Bank?, ___ Wis. L. Rev. 237 (1988), reprinted in 31 Corp. Prac. Comm. 217 (1989).
- Raiding the Corporate Cookie Jar, 68 Bus. & Soc'y Rev. 56 (1988).
- Corporate Criminal Liability: A Tool for Corporate Governance Reform, in Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society (1999).
- How Legal Principles Encourage Irresponsible Corporate Behavior: The Case of Tobacco, in Proceedings of the International Association for Business and Society 217 (1993).
- Co-author, Referenda and Public Questions, in Election Law (IICLE 1983) (with S. Schenkier).
- Co-author, Litigation Under Section 14(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, in Course of Study in Litigation Under the Federal Securities Laws (ALI-ABA 1977, 1978, 1981) (with J. Solovy).
- Co-author, Attorneys' Fees in Commercial and Civil Rights Cases, in Problems in Modern Federal Practice (PLI 1979) (with J. Solovy).
- Co-author, Representing Candidates and Others in Election Litigation, in Attorneys' Guide to Illinois Election Law (IICLE 1977) (with W. Luking).
- Assessment of Clinical Skills in Medicine and Law, Bar Examiner, Aug. 2004, at 18.
- Sears Incentives: A Wall Street Parallel, N.Y. Times, Aug. 30, 1992, § 3, at 11.
- Reducing Tenure in the Boardroom, N.Y. Times, Dec. 22, 1991, § 3, at 11.
- Challenge and Change: Perspectives on Central Europe, ___ Wm. & Mary Law. 17 (1990).
- Conflict of Interest in the Board Room -- Misconduct "Market Discipline" Cannot Kill, ___ Wm. & Mary Law. 35 (1988).