Dates:Auditions: Monday, August 26-Friday, August 30 2013
Results Announced by: The end of Saturday, August 31
Info:Once accepted, students will be given an extension of deadline to register for MUSC E06 (1 credit).
- Dvorak Symphony Parts
- Please prepare only the first and last movements for the audition.
- Trombone (Alto, Tenor)
- Trombone (Bass)
- Schubert Symphony Parts
- Please prepare the entire symphony for the audition.
- Timpani Please enjoy these performances of the audition music.
- Dvorak Movement 1: Allegro con Fuoco
- Dvorak Movement 4: Adagio
- Schubert's Unfinished Symphony
Audition InformationMembership in the William & Mary Symphony Orchestra is open by audition to all members of the William & Mary community. All new and returning members are required to audition.
Sign-up sheets are available outside of Ewell 207 on the Orchestra Board. Audition location is listed on the sign-up sheet.
Audition locations will be posted with the sign-up sheets.
Each audition will last no more than 15 minutes and consist of:
- A selection of a solo work for your instrument (sonata, concerto, etude, etc.) which should not exceed 5 minutes.
- Orchestral excerpts for your instrument, posted as PDFs on the left side of the screen.
- One short excerpt on an auxiliary instrument if there is no excerpt for it posted on the left (e.g. english horn, bass/E-flat clarinet, mallet percussion, piano, harp).
- Please Note: If multiple parts are included on your instrument's audition PDF, please prepare the first part.
- If the audition music is difficult to read, then Professor Grandis does not expect you to play it.
Please contact the Music Director for any questions regarding the audition procedure. Please contact the Orchestra Webmaster For issues accessing the audition music.
Strings are recommended to review these sections of the audition pieces.
Violin: Schubert Unfinished
1. Measures 9-18, 53-83, 170-194
2. Measures 9-16, 201-216
Dvorak New World
1. Letter D to Number 3, 8 before Number 4 to 16 before Number 5, Number 8 to 15 before Number 9, Number 13 to end.
4. 10 before Number 1 to end of page, 15 after Number 4 to end of page, Number 9 to Number 10
1. Measures 63-79, 170-194
2. Measures 237-252
1. 14 after Allegro Molto (page 1), 1 before Number 4 to 5 after Number 4, 19 after Number 6 to 4 before Number 7, 16 after Number 9 to Number 10
4. 10 before Number 1 to Number 2, 9 after Number 4 to 18 after Number 4, Number 10 for 4 measures
1. Measures 1-8. 44-54, 202-212
2. Measures 9-34, 235-252
1. Measure 1 for 4 measures, 16 after Number 3 to 1 after Number 4, 15 after Number 5 to Number 6, 8 before Number 8 to 9 after Number 8
4. 9 before Number 1 to Number 1, 3 after Number 3 to Number 4, Number 11 to 9 before Number 12