Veterinary School Interview Questions
For interviews from individual schools click here.
There seem to be six main categories of questions -
Here are some examples of questions that have been asked a various vet interviews in the past. If you want to see a list of which school these were asked at click here. If you would like to read a general, non-sorted list click here.
- What kinds of books do you like to read and why?
- Describe yourself
- Describe ___ (clinical, farm, animal, research) ___ experiences; what exactly you did and what you did/didn't like about it
- In your vet experience what is the most difficult situation you've faced and how did you deal with it?
- What would you do if you saw a fellow student cheating?
- How do you feel about the use of live animals in vet school (I think every school asked this) or in various other kinds of research?
- How do you feel about ear docking?
- What would you do if you saw a colleague making a mistake?
- Various scenarios involving euthanasia or simply what do you think of euthanasia.
- Do you have the right not to treat an animal?
- What do you do if you think the animal you are treating has been abused?
- What is the difference b/w animal rights and animal welfare?
- Asked questions related to overpopulation of women in veterinary medicine, or overpopulation of vets in general.
- How do you deal with stress, how do you relax, who do you turn to if you're stressed?
- If you simply can't get everything done what do you do?
Why do you want to be a vet?
How do you feel about the use of animals in vet school?
Vet school is an intensive, stressful place. How do you deal with lots of pressure?
Along these same lines, if you had lots of things to do and weren't sure if you could do them all, what would you do?
How do you feel about ear docking?
What is the most challenging class you've ever had and why?
Out of your vet experience, what is the most difficult situation you have faced and how did you deal with it?
What will you do if you are not accepted? Any alternate career plans?
What kind of books do you like to read and why?
How do you feel about the use of animals in research?
You have a pregnant mare. The foal is very valuable, but had 3 months left before term. The mother has a tumor in her upper respiratory tract and can't breathe. The mother will die - but you want the foal. What will you do?
You have a bitch who gave birth to 9 puppies. She can't feed them all. What would you do? How would you distinguish those that are undernourished?
How do you feel about livestock vs. wildlife grazing?
Out of your vet experience, what do you enjoy the most?
How do you feel about using live animals to practice surgery, etc?
Tell me about the appealing/non-appealing parts of veterinary medicine
How much time do you spend studying?
If you were tied with one other person for the last spot, what would you tell me to convince me that I should pick you over the other person?
Tell us about your experiences at ________?
If I were to give you your DVM right now, what would you do with it?
What do you want to specialize in?
Will you be able to pay for this?
What class that you've take do you think will help you the most in vet school? Why?
What job opportunities are there for vets other than private practice?
Euthanasia questions, what would you do in a certain situation?
What do vets make starting out? Would you treat an animal hit by a car even though the owner won't pay?
Do you have a right not to treat an animal?
Should people be allowed to own exotic species?
Who should you call if you think the animal you are treating may have been abused? What legal avenues can the vet pursue if any?
- What is the starting salary for vets? What is the salary range for vets?
- What will you do if you don't get into vet school?
- What other kinds of jobs can you get as a veterinarian?
- What might you want to specialize in?
- What will you do if you can't get into vet school?
- Can you pay for this?
- What do you see yourself doing in 5, 10, 20 years?
- What are some of the best/worst parts of private practice?